Wednesday, October 16, 2019



Now that the print version of Ball of String has been released, I think my blog is a good vehicle to provide a little more information on the new book.
 BOS is structured in a very similar way to the other three previous photo and poetry books that I have published.
The photographs are designed to help establish a mood for the poem. I include them to add some color to the book and also establish a more intimate relationship with the reader.
The poems all stand on their own, but readers tell me they like the mix with the photos, and particularly like the one-liners that are included beneath the photos to link with the poems.
The photos are all my own and have been carefully selected by me from my collection of thousands.
Most of these poems have been written since the publication of In the Cat’s Eye in 2009.
About that time, Susanne began to urge me to submit some of these poems to “blind” contests which are each judged by different writers and are provided without names to the judges.  
During this time, I submitted poems in about 25 contests, both national and local. The results were extremely encouraging as ten were prizewinners and another five won honorable mention. That was a very encouraging success rate given that all judges have different tastes and often tend to select in the areas of their prime interests (rhyme, free verse, prose, etc.).
I was also asked by friends to name the prize winners. I want to leave a little mystery for the reader so, at least for the moment I am going to refrain from doing that, although I will say that five were first prize winners, two won second prizes and three won third prizes.
It was that success rate that encouraged me at seventy-six to publish one more book. Poets get very little support in present society and so it doesn’t take much to fill us with hope that there might be someone out there who likes what you are doing. And Ball of String is a way to get the poems out to the public. Please forgive me for this indulgence.
I hope you like the new book and please give me any feedback that you may have.
Regards.
Glenn K. Currie

No comments:

Post a Comment